Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Experience of a Lifetime

I have been staring at my computer screen for a while now trying to find the words to describe my SummerMissionsInTeenEvangelism (SMITE) trip. I do not believe that there is a concise way to accomplish this...
I guess this will have to do:

{The ride down and first night}

I didn't want to go. Like, really did not want to go on the trip. I almost backed out the night before. I was nervous, NOT excited at all, worried that we didn't know what was going on, and not looking forward to working in the projects of New York. But, I was a "good Christian", and went anyway.

By the end of the trip, I was wishing I didn't have to leave.
God is pretty amazing.

The 15 hour ride to our destination~ Staten Island, New York~ was fun. I got to talk to one of my college freshman friends about my concerns with the trip. She felt the same way, but after talking through of all the wrong reasons why we didn't want to go (example: this trip is not about pleasing ourselves, but bringing glory to God), we were anticipating (instead of dreading) the week ahead and couldn't wait to see what God was going to do in, with, and through us.
The fellowship within the bus, the craziness at mealtimes, and the working together to make a tentative plan for the Vacation Bible School we were leading, are all memories in and of themselves. And the trip hadn't even begun yet.

Meal time :)

We arrived at  the Watkin's (our missionary family) house  later Monday evening. They had a beautiful 100 year old house, that we girls had the opportunity to stay in. The eight of us somewhat overtook their living and dining room areas in the evening...

I was all the way in the back, under the table lol :)


The Watkins were all so sweet and kind to our whole group. They provided us with a marvelous breakfast, lunch, and dinner, every day! May God bless them for their hospitality, godly examples, and memories that we brought back home with us!

I think I will end this post now, but I will continue with Part 2: Vacation Bible School soon. I am nowhere close to explaining all that went on in my life and in my heart the past few weeks.
So stay tuned =)

No comments:

Post a Comment